Think of your genetics like a gun and your lifestyle like a trigger. When it comes to cancer, the potential for your gun to randomly fire is relatively unlikely. Most of the time, there’s something in your environment or a component of your lifestyle that is pulling at that trigger. Here’s the deal, the choices you make today impact how you live tomorrow. Think about it. Every choice you make, has either a positive or negative effect on your future health. Here are 5 things you can do right now!!
1. Eat real food: Filling your body with clean, whole, real food is an absolute key to cancer prevention. It’s estimated that at least 35% of cancers are related to what you eat! Yeah, you read it right; what you eat is totally linked to your risk of cancer. Think about that for a moment; you’ve got a lot of power when it comes to what you put into your body (and what you choose not to put into your body).
2. Stop eating sugar: There’s a strong link between cancer and insulin resistance. Sugar (check just about any box, bag or can of food you eat and you’ll find it) taxes just about every system in the body. Read food labels and avoid any added sugar.
3. Drink a lot of water: This simple strategy can reduce your risk of bladder, colon and other cancers by 49%. Stay hydrated by carrying water with you everywhere you go! Even better, infuse your water with cucumbers, watermelon and basil or oranges and mint.
4. Don’t drink a lot of alcohol: Any alcohol consumption increases your risk of cancer. It’s not just heavy or even moderate amounts, it’s any consumption at all. Yup, it’s serious business. Looking for a cocktail alternative? Try sparkling water instead.
5. Spice it up: Okay, this is so simple and so effective. Visit the spice aisle and load up on both dried and fresh herbs and spices. Cinnamon, tumeric, garlic, cloves, allspice, ginger, rosemary, thyme. saffron, oregano and others have been shown to lower cancer risk and boost circulating antioxidants. I’ve got a meal plan dedicated to spices.
Lifestyle Matters! Make the most of today’s moments to prevent and fight cancer in the future! You CAN do this.